How familiar are you with eye disease, glaucoma? Below are 10 facts you need to know.
1.Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of blindness, worldwide.
It is estimated three million Americans are affected by the eye condition.
2. Glaucoma is not just one eye disease.
It is a group of eye conditions that damage the optic nerve. If it is left untreated, glaucoma can cause permanent blindness.
3. There are several types of glaucoma.
The two most common types of glaucoma are open-angle and angle-closure.
4. Most people don’t know they have glaucoma.
One of the most common types of glaucoma, open-angle, affects 90 percent of people. It occurs gradually without pain or symptoms. A person with open-angle glaucoma may not be aware there is a problem until loss of vision occurs.
5. Glaucoma runs in the family.
Does someone in your family have glaucoma? Having a family history of glaucoma can increase your risk of developing it.
6. Glaucoma can cause loss of peripheral vision.
Without treatment, glaucoma will slowly affect an individual’s peripheral vision. This means they may miss objects out of the corner of their eyes.
7. The greatest risk for glaucoma is ocular hypertension.
Ocular hypertension occurs when your eye pressure is higher than normal.
8. Regular eye exams are the best way to detect glaucoma.
Glaucoma can be treated when it is detected early. Getting an annual, comprehensive eye exam is the best way to protect your vision.
9. There is no cure for Glaucoma.
While there is no cure for glaucoma, it can be treated. Early diagnosis and treatment by an eye physician can help save eyesight.
10. Everyone is at risk for Glaucoma.
While glaucoma may be associated with old age, infants and young adults can be affected, too.
Glaucoma has been called the “silent thief of sight.” Don’t live in bliss, know your risks, schedule an eye exam with one of the board-certified ophthalmologists at Premier Medical.